Hours before a US-set deadline for finalizing a trade deal, Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew urged Canada to "fight" for favourable terms, pushing back against Prime Minister Mark Carney's efforts to secure a deal. The negotiations, which have been ongoing for weeks, are at a critical juncture, with a fresh wave of US tariffs on Canadian goods looming if a deal is not reached by Friday night.
Trade Deadline Looms
Negotiators have until Friday night to finalize the deal, which would see the US agree to reduce tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminium from 50% to 25%, and tariffs on Canadian automobiles from 25% to 15%. In exchange, Canada would restore the sale of US alcohol on liquor store shelves and consider allowing American dairy producers greater access to its market. However, the details of the deal remain unclear, with some Canadians expressing concern about what is – and what isn't – on the table.
Premier Kinew's Stance
Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew has been a vocal critic of the proposed deal, questioning why Canada would give up some of its leverage by restoring US alcohol sales. "Everybody knows the American president by now, he's erratic, he's irresponsible, and he's not to be trusted," Kinew said. "And this is the person that we were supposed to make a deal with, and we're going to make additional concessions for it." Kinew added that he would reluctantly restore the sale of US alcohol in his province if it was for the benefit of all of Canada, but urged Canadians not to buy it.
Reaction from Other Premiers
Other premiers, however, have been more willing to consider the deal. Quebec Premier Christine Fréchette said on Thursday that she was analysing what the deal will mean for Quebec farmers before deciding on whether to restore US alcohol sales. Meanwhile, the premiers of Nova Scotia and the Yukon territory have said they are prepared to restore US alcohol sales. However, Doug Ford, the premier of Ontario, has yet to comment publicly on the deal.
Businesses and Stakeholders Weigh In
Businesses and stakeholders are also weighing in on the deal, with some expressing concern about the potential impact on Canadian industries. The mayor of an Ontario city that is home to the country's second-largest steel producer told the CBC that a deal that includes 25% tariffs on the sector "wouldn't be something to celebrate". "I am worried with the news that's coming out that we are not seeing a deal that will benefit our community at the very least," Mayor Matthew Shoemaker said. Leader of the Conservative opposition Pierre Poilievre also criticized what is known about the deal so far, saying that "one-sided tariffs on Canadian industry would be a bad deal."
Polls Suggest Canadians Unhappy with Concessions
Polls suggest that a majority of Canadians would be unhappy if the Carney government made significant concessions to the US. According to a survey by Leger, 56% of Canadians want Canada to take a hardline approach in trade talks. This is a challenge for Prime Minister Carney, who campaigned on a tough "elbows-up" approach to dealing with US President Donald Trump.
What Happens Next
The fate of the trade deal remains uncertain, with a fresh wave of US tariffs on Canadian goods looming if a deal is not reached by Friday night. If a deal is reached, it would be a significant victory for Prime Minister Carney, but would also come at a cost to Canadian industries. As the deadline approaches, Canadians are holding their breath, waiting to see what the future holds for trade relations with the US.
Source: Joy Online
