News

Energy Ministry Promises Relief: Temporary Power Control Room to Launch in September

Ghana's Energy Ministry to launch temporary power control room in September, addressing energy crisis concerns.

Share this article
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September

The Ministry of Energy has confirmed that a temporary control room will be operational by the end of September, despite earlier plans to complete it in August. The decision to prioritize the restoration of power supply while work on a more permanent control facility continues was made by the Energy Minister and engineers.

Energy Ministry Explains Revised Timeline

The Ministry's spokesperson, Richmond Rockson, explained that the temporary control room is a necessary interim solution to allow electricity generation and supply to resume quickly. He stated that engineers recommended the temporary arrangement, which the Minister approved. According to Mr Rockson, the absence of the switchyard means the power system currently operates with an inherent risk of volatility, making it vulnerable to disturbances along the transmission line.

The Energy Ministry's spokesperson, Richmond Rockson, said the government had to make a critical decision following the incident that disrupted the country's power supply. He explained that authorities had to choose between constructing an entirely new control room before restoring power or finding an interim solution that would allow electricity generation and supply to resume quickly.

Power Supply Restored, But Volatility Remains

Mr Rockson emphasized that power stability had significantly improved since electricity was restored following the April 30 incident. However, he warned that the temporary arrangement had exposed the system to some volatility, and any disturbance may affect the transmission line. He assured the public that the power plants and transmission systems were operational and electricity was being evacuated.

According to Mr Rockson, the GRIDCo engineers, together with power sector players, took steps to restore power quickly. He stated that the power restoration process began as early as around 5 to 6 a.m., and by 12, 3 p.m., power had been restored to all parts of the country.

What's Next for the Energy Ministry?

The Energy Ministry's spokesperson, Richmond Rockson, appealed to Ghanaians to bear with the system until the temporary facility is completed. He emphasized that the temporary control room will serve as an interim solution until the more permanent control facility is completed. Mr Rockson assured the public that the power plants and transmission systems were operational and electricity was being evacuated.

The Energy Ministry's revised timeline for the completion of the temporary control room has been met with a mix of relief and caution. While the restoration of power supply is a welcome development, the continued vulnerability of the power system to disturbances remains a concern. As the Energy Ministry works to complete the temporary control room by the end of September, the public can expect to see improved power stability and reduced volatility in the coming months.


Source: Joy Online