News

Saglemi Housing Project Back on Track: LMI Holdings Takes Charge

LMI Holdings takes charge of Saglemi Housing Project after a long delay, promising timely completion and quality homes for residents.

Share this article
Developer LMI Holdings commits to completing first 700 Saglemi housing units

LMI Holdings has taken charge of the Saglemi Housing Project, committing to complete the first 700 housing units by March 2027, with the first phase of 1,500 units expected to be finished by December 2027.

Developer Takes Charge of Revived Saglemi Project

President John Dramani Mahama inspected the Saglemi project in the Greater Accra Region on Thursday, August 20, and met with LMI Holdings to discuss the project's revival. The Saglemi project, originally conceived as a 5,000-unit affordable housing estate under the late President John Evans Atta Mills, stalled after a change in government, with subsequent legal and investigative processes bringing construction to a halt.

Revival Plans Unveiled

The prolonged inactivity also left the site vulnerable to vandalism, with electrical cables, fittings, wash basins, bathtubs, bulbs, and underground telecommunications cables reportedly removed. President Mahama said the Government eventually decided to partner with the private sector to complete the development, leading to the selection of LMI Holdings to undertake the redevelopment.

President's Vision for Saglemi

“From what you have seen today, this estate is going to become a modern and conducive residential community for thousands of Ghanaian families,” President Mahama said. He urged prospective homeowners to register promptly once the sales portal is opened, warning that demand for the houses is likely to be high. “I want to encourage Ghanaians to register as soon as the sales portal is opened because these houses will be in high demand,” he said.

Supporting Infrastructure to Boost Saglemi

President Mahama said Saglemi would benefit from major supporting infrastructure, including improved road and railway connections. Government is dualising the road from Saglemi to Aflao, with the first phase already under construction, while the second phase from Central University is being awarded. Residents will therefore enjoy a fast and efficient road connection.

Timeline for Completion

The President said he expected the developer to fulfil its commitment on the housing delivery timeline. “It is my hope that shortly after Christmas, around Easter next year, we shall gather here to commission the first 700 housing units and hand them over to homeowners. Then, in December next year, we shall return once again to commission the remaining units, completing the first phase of 1,500 houses,” he said.

Government's Broader Housing Agenda

The first phase represents 1,500 units of the original 5,000-unit Saglemi project, with President Mahama indicating that work would subsequently commence on the remaining 3,500 units. He also linked the project to government's broader efforts to increase the supply of affordable housing and reduce the burden of high rent advances on Ghanaian families. “Saglemi is not the last housing project. The government is preparing a major national housing programme that will be announced by the Finance Minister in the next budget,” he said.

What's Next for Saglemi

President Mahama noted that GH¢500 million had already been allocated to the District Housing Scheme, with construction expected to begin in selected districts as government rolls out its housing agenda over the next four years. With LMI Holdings at the helm, the Saglemi project is set to move forward, bringing much-needed affordable housing to Ghanaian families. As the project progresses, residents can look forward to a modern and conducive residential community with improved road and railway connections.


Source: Joy Online