A U.S. judge on Friday struck down a Trump administration policy suspending the issuance of immigrant visas to applicants from 75 countries, saying that the policy exceeded Secretary of State Marco Rubio’s statutory authority. The policy, which was announced in January, impacted applicants from Latin American countries, Balkan nations, South Asian countries, and those from many nations in Africa, the Middle East, and the Caribbean.
Trump-Era Policy Struck Down
U.S. District Judge Jeannette Vargas in Manhattan said the policy was "patently unlawful" and ran afoul of federal immigration law, which explicitly stripped the Secretary of State of authority over consular officers' processing of immigrant visas. The policy, which categorically prohibited the issuance of immigrant visas based on the nationality of the applicant, represented a direct abrogation of this statutory scheme, she wrote.
The State Department's suspension took effect in January, with applicants from countries such as Brazil, Colombia, Uruguay, Bosnia, Albania, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and many others affected. The department had said applicants from those countries were "at a high risk for becoming a public charge and recourse to local, state, and federal government resources in the United States."
Rights Groups Celebrate Ruling
The ruling was welcomed by immigrant rights groups, who had filed a lawsuit against the policy along with applicants for immigrant visas and U.S. citizens sponsoring family members from the designated countries. Catholic Legal Immigration Network and African Communities Together were among the groups that had challenged the policy in court. President Donald Trump's aggressive immigration crackdown, which aimed to improve domestic security, had been criticized by rights groups for violating free speech and due process rights, and for creating an unsafe environment, particularly for ethnic minorities.
What's Next for Affected Countries
The ruling has significant implications for the 75 countries affected by the policy. Applicants who were previously denied visas due to the policy may now be eligible to reapply. However, the State Department's decision to suspend the issuance of immigrant visas is still pending, and it is unclear when the department will announce its next steps. The ruling has been hailed as a victory for immigrant rights groups, but the battle is far from over.
The State Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the ruling. President Trump's immigration crackdown has been a contentious issue, with many critics arguing that it has unfairly targeted ethnic minorities and violated due process rights. The ruling by Judge Vargas is a significant setback for the Trump administration's immigration policies, and it remains to be seen how the administration will respond.
Source: Joy Online
