News

Blackout Blunder: IES Demands Answers on July 29 Outage Report

Ghana's IES demands answers on July 29 power outage report that left thousands in the dark.

Share this article
IES demands release of July 29 blackout report after latest nationwide outage

The Institute for Energy Security (IES) is demanding answers from the government and the Ghana Grid Company Limited (GRIDCo) on the status of the technical investigation into the nationwide power outage recorded on July 29, 2026.

Investigation Delay Sparks Concerns

The power outage, which occurred on July 29, resulted in disturbances across the national power system and a nationwide blackout. Several generating plants reportedly tripped off, leading to the widespread disruptions. The Ghana Grid Company Limited (GRIDCo) announced plans to conduct a technical investigation into the incident, but nearly three weeks later, the findings of the investigation have not been made public.

Speaking on JoyNews' The Pulse on Thursday, August 20, Derrick Xatse, the Senior Research and Policy Analyst at IES, expressed concern over the delay in releasing the report. "We have not sighted any report of that, so I'm not sure the media has also sighted any report of that," he said.

Recurrence of Outage Raises Questions

The recurrence of a nationwide outage before the findings of the earlier investigation had been released raises questions about the resilience of the country's power system. According to GRIDCo, the latest outage was triggered by a major fault on the Akosombo–Volta transmission line. This development has sparked concerns that the temporary arrangements being used to maintain power supply may expose the national grid to further disruptions.

The IES is calling on the Energy Ministry and GRIDCo to outline additional measures to ensure that the temporary arrangements do not lead to further blackouts. Mr. Xatse emphasized the need for greater transparency and urgent action to prevent repeated nationwide blackouts. "Reliable electricity is essential for households and businesses to plan their daily activities," he said.

Call for Transparency and Action

The IES is demanding that the government disclose the July 29 report if it is ready and provide information on the specific measures being implemented to address vulnerabilities identified in the system. The institute is also calling for the Energy Ministry and GRIDCo to provide details on the additional measures being taken to prevent further disruptions to the national power supply.

In the face of repeated nationwide blackouts, the Ghanaian public is eagerly awaiting answers from the government and GRIDCo on the status of the investigation and the measures being taken to prevent further disruptions. The IES's call for transparency and action is a timely reminder of the need for greater accountability in the country's energy sector.


Source: Joy Online